Alcohol types

Types of Damage Available for a Milwaukee Impaired Driving Accident

In a drunk driving case, you can also get punitive damages, especially if the drunk driver had a high blood alcohol level or multiple OWI convictions on his record.

Milwaukee, Wis. – Milwaukee didn’t get its Brew City moniker for nothing. Although there aren’t as many breweries as there used to be, Milwaukee still has enough bars and enough patrons at those bars to be considered one of the top drinking cities in the entire country. Milwaukee was recently ranked third on the list of the 10 Drundiest Cities in the United States. People enjoying a few drinks would not be a problem. The problem is that many of these people then get in their cars and drive home. Impaired driving crashes account for 36% of all road deaths in Wisconsin, a percentage higher than the national average. Each year, approximately 145 people are killed and thousands are injured in drunk driving crashes.

In the state of Wisconsin, a driver can be charged with impaired driving (OWI) if they have a blood alcohol level (BAC) of 0.08 or higher or are under the influence of a restricted controlled substance. For repeat offenders who already have three OWI convictions on file, the legal limit is lowered to 0.02. Drivers under 21 are not permitted to have alcohol in their system.

If you’ve ever been involved in an accident caused by a drunk driver, his blood alcohol level and his record will play an important role in your personal injury claim. Do not agree to any settlements before contacting qualified Milwaukee OWI accident attorneys and determining the value of your claim.

Should you settle or sue after an impaired driving accident?

People are sometimes hesitant to involve a lawyer in their case because they fear being drawn into a long and expensive lawsuit. The truth is, Milwaukee accident attorneys don’t want to go to court. They prefer to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company whenever possible. However, in an OWI accident case, it may not always be in the best interest of their clients. If someone is seriously injured in a drunk driving accident, they can get more damages by going to court. On the other hand, when insurers realize that a lawyer is determined to take them to court, they may decide to make a better deal just to avoid losing the case in court.

Types of damage available for an impaired driving accident

In Wisconsin, you will need to file a claim with the insurance company representing the drunk driver and seek compensatory damages, which are of two types:

People are celebrating, a man is drinking from a bottle; image by Omar Lopez, via

Economic damage refer to your medical expenses, the cost of replacing or repairing your car, and the value of your lost wages, past and future.

Non-economic damage are intended to compensate you for your pain and suffering, both physical and mental. In Wisconsin, there is no cap on pain and damages suffered, so the money you get depends on the severity of your injuries and your attorney’s skill in presenting a compelling case.

In a drunk driving case, you can also get punitive damages, particularly if the drunk driver had a high blood alcohol level or multiple OWI convictions on their record. The point is, you have to sue if you want punitive damages. If you suffered serious injuries, your lawyers will probably want to go to court and convince the judge that the drunk driver’s driving was so egregious that he deserves punishment. By law, punitive damages are capped at $200,000 or twice the amount of compensatory damages you deserve, whichever is higher. It can mean a lot of money. If you get $250,000 in compensatory damages, you could get $500,000 in punitive damages.

Lawyers near me

If you are looking for an accident lawyer or need professional help with other legal matters, you may be wondering “Where can I find lawyers near me?” Don’t worry, help is just a few clicks away. Simply follow the link to access the extensive database at Select the area of ​​law you’re interested in, your state and city, and schedule a free consultation with a trusted attorney in your area.